August 23, 2009

#125-133

This is going to be another long post...

High_School_Girls_v01_cover

High School Girls

Volume 1 - 9: links removed

Here is the complete series. I scanned v1-7 again because I didn't like the quality from SaD and thought I could do a better job. Especially in their earlier volumes they had some pretty noticeable bleed-through (do you call it that?), which bothered me, while reading them. Of course their version is still readable and my scans looked worse not so long ago but still, if I think I can do it better, why not just do it? My volume 1 and 3 are scanned from a different edition but I dunno if there were any changes, maybe some spelling mistakes corrected or something like that, if anything...

Working on these was pretty easy and took me about three days. Now I have practically everything I do saved as an action in Photoshop, which I can use with a single key (or maybe two, when I have to use Shift+ or Ctrl+). Here a little run-down on my current scanning process:

First comes the scan, obviously, which takes me about 1h per book. The scanned images are directly saved on my HDD as a TIF file (600dpi with around 16MB per pic). Then I run the pictures through a PS action which flips the pages over to the side (landscape mode) and crops most of the black borders (now about 12MB and still a .tif). Then I manually crop the rest of the borders by clipping a bit of the canvas in 1%, .5% or .1% steps (much easier than selection with the mouse and then crop but I dunno if it's faster, size is 11MB and .psd). This took me under 1h per book with this series, I think I'm getting used to it. Now most of the work is done. I flip the pages back to portrait mode, set the levels (everything as a batch action, when the levels are done, the size drops drastically, 2-7MB now, .psd). For this I just have to wait, 6-8 minutes per book. Then I check everything again and just let the resizing and saving actions run through (now 96dpi and PNG for grayscale, takes maybe 10 minutes per book, size is mostly 200-300kb for the 1200px H version or 300-700kb for the 1280px W version, JPG files of the color pages aren't really bigger). The last steps are renaming the files, adding everything to a .rar and uploading it but I tell you, uploading alone of these books took over 4h...

Now that I have this finally finished, what is going to be next? Well, first there is one new volume each of two of my other ongoing projects (Honey and Clover and Venus Versus Virus, both v6). But after that? Well I told you I'm finishing up my Future Projects List and there are only three more to go (I really have to update the pages but I'm just too lazy) and you will decide which will be released when. In a few days I'll post a poll and you can vote, what you want to see first, what after that, etc. I plan to do this always from now on, post a couple of series that I have in a poll and just let you decide, what will be released next.

I have still something here, that I wanted to release earlier or together with this. A scan of the Oh My Goddess Novel that I did while playing around with some OCR. Basically it's ready to be released but I still have some formatting issues that I want to fix, before really shareing it (cosmetic stuff, more or less...) but maybe when I put up the poll I'll have it ready, you'll see.

Enjoy

PS: I'm now at over 500 manga here. More than half is in German but that should be changing soon.

27 comments:

  1. thanks a lot, your the man.
    honey & clover sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. railwaysquater23 August, 2009 13:46

    thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, it's great to have all cleaned up and together in one place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you would describe how to do it. Should helps in case someone would scan their own volumes.

    And thanks for the scans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooww....I'm totally in love with you right now, thanksss aa lott for all these...(downloading asap)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear sir
    you have my gatitude for giving us such good books . Your hard work is worthy of applause . I learn from your post that you are planing to release a novel . In future will i see more novels ?
    Again Thank you for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @arc1angel2
    It's possible for me to release (more) novels. Scanning them doesn't take much time and OCR is pretty easy too.
    Let's just see how the AMG Novel turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of these and the previous scans - I really like the Hi-def versions - beautiful stuff (although it must be a bitch to upload all these different versions now).

    ReplyDelete
  9. thx a lot for this

    im waiting forever for this manga to be completed lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. This is amazing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the 9th page says 65th period, it should be 64th

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since I just scan what's published I don't care about that. If you take a look at the TOC of v1 and v9, you'll notice, that it's totally fucked up and in the earlier edition of v1 (the one, that was released by SaD) everything is ok. Who knows what these guys did, that they couldn't even count the pages...

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The day I will finally read the two last volumes of High School girls is today!!!!!!! *joooooy* Thank you so much, and I really like the new layout here o.~

    ReplyDelete
  15. [...] last two volumes have finally been scanned and uploaded online. WTF is up with that wierd quasi-incestuous stuff in [...]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this releae.And,as always,I appreciate your dedication and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you.
    I didn't know the series was over.
    I'll have to catch up now. =)
    Also, thank you very much for taking the time to scan these in.
    I agree that scanning is quite a laborious process, especially if you're like me and don't want to actually remove the binding.
    I must say you're pretty fast though. It takes me quite a bit longer than you to scan something in.
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thx for the release.... you rock. :) when the poll comes i'm voting for Hell Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a mistake by the publisher. They just forget to put in the real p192-193, where it's first mentioned, that Ayano and Shimotakatani are a couple. I didn't really look until now but yeah, Dr Master screwed up and there are pages missing from the actual printed book. There should be nothing else missing, because except for v3 I used the same books (same edition) as SaD (so even if there are differences in more recent editions, I wouldn't know) and with v3 there is nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Done reading this in one go. Truely epic, thank you for scanning this

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most awesome shit ever. Love this series. You're the besttaaa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah crap...missed it. Thankfully, I know where to get them now. Thanks for scanning them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why were the links taken down?

    ReplyDelete
  24. C&D by DrMaster, the publisher...

    ReplyDelete
  25. yea, i want to read, but where's the link T_T

    ReplyDelete