April 2, 2011

Quick Status Report

I still haven't gotten around to make too many changes to the site, many links still don't work...though for the time being check out my About Page, there's a link to my Mediafire Folder and over 90% of the files should still be there.

Now, take a look at the right side, I will for now post my progress in a small text field on the side bar. I believe I already did something like this on my old blog, so why not do it again...I might have done more than the things written there because I will not update it every day, maybe not even every week, so no complaining when something doesn't change for some time :>

I'm still a bit reluctant to start on Mushishi because I fear it will not be on par with my other stuff and I want to make it look as good as possible. I know most of you just want to read it regardless of the quality, but I wouldn't like it too much, sorry.

I'll probably finish scanning Lucky Star pretty quick (takes about 1 hour per book) but will have to see when I start editing it as I still haven't configured Photoshop yet.

Now another thing that might excite you but I'm not promising anything here!
I have ordered the new Otomen and Gin Tama books (3 each afaik). So there is the possibility to scan this later! Again, keep in mind, NO PROMISES! If I get into scanning again, if I have fun scanning books again, I will do it. If..if..if...

13 comments:

  1. "...I'm still a bit reluctant to start on Mushishi because I fear it will not be on par with my other stuff and I want to make it look as good as possible. I know most of you just want to read it regardless of the quality, but I wouldn't like it too much, sorry..."

    It's your hobby, don't do what wouldn't make you not like it too much!

    Also, what if you start on Mushishi 8 and release *that* alone instead of "starting on Mushishi [the 3-volume book as a whole]"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is probably possible to scan the first 100-200 pages in the usual quality, the problem is with the middle part of the book. To achieve the same level of quality here, it might be neccessary to damage the spine of the book and I want to avoid this as much as possible. If I wouldn't do this you might end up with pages missing 2-4 centimeters from one edge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah I just said 'reluctant to start', nobody should get the wrong impression now. I will start working on it, it's just that if I don't like the quality, I will take some time getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, for better or worse, we're all here because we can't buy the mangá (in my case because I live in Brazil), so for us anything you publish will be already awesome enough, even if half the pages are pitch-black. Plus, you're doing this out of altruism - we're not giving you anything in return at all - so it's not like we'll ever complain about it (and if we do, just ban us). But then again, you already know that, so I guess I'm only boring you to death with all this stuff ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. gabrielkfl: It doesn't matter where you live. You can always buy mangas at http://bookdepository.com/ They have free shiping on everything ;)
    BTW. Looking forward Mushishi & Gintama. Glad Your's blog is back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick update: I have some massive problems with my laptop...I hope it's just the RAM. Anyway, since most of Lucky Star is already done I should be able to release it soon (soon meaning maybe 1-2 weeks)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anon if you're going to troll in a way that looks legit, suggest a site that actually has an inventory. a quick search pulls try abebooks for nearly everything that interested me.

    also, while global shipping may be free on their site, it's not free on the sites they recommended, nor does your limited understanding of global economics take into account the going exchange rate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My problem's I don't have an international credit card (or any credit card, for that matter), and even if I did, a US$25 book would cost me R$50 plus another R$40 of shipping, while it would probably cost no more than R$30 full if it was released around here. If not for that, I would have gotten it from amazon long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright! I'm almost done with Lucky Star. I'm processing the files with pngout right now to reduce file size which will take another day or so and then I just have to upload it. So maybe it'll be out by Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wooooooooooo thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's REALLY awesome of you to constantly update this site with status reports to keep us informed. Kudos to your awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. If you're open to suggestions for future projects, I'd suggest Inukami! It's a very lovely series, which somehow slipped through the cracks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always open for suggestions, however right now I don't even know how long I will continue doing this. Also with series from Seven Seas, I will probably never buy them unless they are completely released. In case in the past I thought about buying Inukami but I don't have any plans to do so right now, regardless if I'd scan it or not.

    ReplyDelete